Saturday, March 3, 2012

"Your sFace or Mine?" (2004) by Reginald Brooks RESPONSE

I found this work be browsing in the archive of Rhizome and I was immediately caught be the fact that it seemed to be what we are working for our third project. In this project, the artist is placing the higher value on symmetry. I have heard before that the more symmetric our faces are, the more attractive we are. I guess I can't really argue that because to don't know how to prove that it's not.

I really like this concept because the artist has divided the human face into 30 different sections that are interchangeable with many images of the same body part, but with different colors or different textures. so that the user can create their own unique face. What I wish was different is the way the user selects the sections of the face. To change a part of the face, the user has to scroll a really nice and clever poem. every time the user rolls over a letter of the poem, the face changes.

I think that the poem really represents the concept of the work and lets us play god for a while. If god is trying to create the perfect human being, and the rules by which he can create such human are as confusing as the selection process in Brook's work, then no wonder the world is so messed up.

http://rhizome.org/artbase/artwork/26910/

No comments:

Post a Comment